- 1 Section A
- 2 Q.I Write short notes on the following in about 200 words each:
- 3 (i) Readability is a writer’s ultimate goal.
- 4 (ii) Kinds of travel writing.
- 5 (iii) Role of sound effects (SFX) in writing for radio.
- 6 (iv) Importance of editing a text.
- 7 Section B
- 8 Q. II Answer the following questions in about 350 words each:
- 9 1. What are some basic guidelines for a creative writer?
- 10 2. Discuss some ways in which you can make a short story interesting.
- 11 3. What are some of the rules for scripting T.V. programmes for children?
- 12 4. Plagiarism has no place in creative writing-elucidate with examples.
- 13 Section C
- 14 Q. III Attempt the following questions using your creative abilities:
- 15 5. Given below are the opening lines of a short story. Complete the story in 500 words, giving it a suitable title: “The day began like any other day and I did not know what it had in store for me……”
- 16 6. Write a feature in 500 words on “Indian women are still treated as second-class citizens”.
- 17 7. Write a nature poem of ten to fourteen lines.
- 18 8. Structure a T.V. advertisement for a new model of mobile phone.
- 19 9. Write a travel article about your home town in order to attract trourists to visit it. (500 words)
IGNOU BEGG-174 Solved Assignment 2022-2023: This comprehensive guide has been put together to help you understand and complete the assignment with ease. With step-by-step solutions and explanations, this document aims to simplify the learning process and provide you with a clear understanding of the course material.
|IGNOU: BEGG-174 Solved Assignment 2022-2023 (CREATIVE WRITING)
|Bachelor Degree Programme
|Bachelor of Arts (General)
|Last Date for Submission of Assignment:
|For June Examination: 31st March
For December Examination: 30th September
Q.I Write short notes on the following in about 200 words each:
(i) Readability is a writer’s ultimate goal.
Ans: Readability is the measure of how easily a text can be understood by a reader. It is a crucial aspect of writing, as the goal of any writer is to ensure that their content is easy to understand, engaging, and informative. A writer’s ultimate aim is to produce a piece of writing that is accessible to as many people as possible. To achieve this, they must consider various factors, such as sentence structure, vocabulary, and tone.
Sentence structure is key to readability, as short and simple sentences are easier to understand than long and complex ones. Similarly, using a clear and straightforward vocabulary helps to make the text more accessible to a wider audience. Additionally, the tone of the writing must be appropriate, as a conversational or friendly tone is more engaging than a formal or technical one.
Another aspect of readability is font and formatting. The font should be easy to read, and the text should be well-spaced and broken into paragraphs to help the reader to focus and understand the content. Good formatting makes it easier for the reader to scan the text and find the information they need.
(ii) Kinds of travel writing.
Ans: Travel writing is a genre of writing that explores the experience of traveling to new places, both physically and mentally. There are several different types of travel writing, each with its own unique style and approach. Some of the most common types of travel writing include:
- Narrative travel writing: This type of writing focuses on the personal experiences and adventures of the writer, often incorporating elements of memoir, fiction, and poetry.
- Guidebook writing: This type of travel writing provides practical information and tips on a particular destination, including information on accommodations, attractions, and cultural events.
- Cultural travel writing: This type of writing focuses on the cultural aspects of travel, exploring the customs, traditions, and beliefs of the local people.
- Food and drink writing: This type of travel writing explores the culinary aspects of travel, including local food and drink, cooking methods, and recipes.
- Adventure travel writing: This type of writing focuses on high-adrenaline experiences, such as trekking, rafting, and bungee jumping, and is often targeted towards adventure-seekers and thrill-seekers.
- Environmental travel writing: This type of writing explores the relationship between humans and the natural world, including issues of conservation, sustainability, and ecology.
- Spiritual travel writing: This type of travel writing explores the spiritual and religious aspects of travel, including visits to holy sites, meditation retreats, and spiritual journeys.
Each type of travel writing offers its own unique perspective on the travel experience and allows writers to share their personal experiences with others. Whether the focus is on adventure, culture, food, or spirituality, travel writing is a rich and diverse genre that offers something for everyone.
(iii) Role of sound effects (SFX) in writing for radio.
Ans: Sound effects (SFX) play a crucial role in writing for radio. They add depth, atmosphere, and realism to the script and help to engage the listener’s imagination. Without SFX, radio drama or storytelling can feel flat and uninteresting.
In radio writing, SFX are used to create a sense of place and atmosphere. For example, the sound of a train whistle can create the feeling of being in a busy city, while the sound of birds chirping can create a peaceful rural setting. SFX can also be used to enhance the emotion of a scene, such as the sound of footsteps in the dark to create a sense of fear.
In addition to setting the mood, SFX can also be used to create characters and provide sensory information that is not possible to convey through dialogue alone. For example, the sound of a dog barking can indicate that a character has a pet, while the sound of a squeaky door can reveal the age and condition of a building.
SFX are also important for pacing and timing in radio scripts. By adding sound cues, writers can control the tempo of a scene and help to maintain the listener’s attention. For example, the sound of a ticking clock can create a sense of urgency, while the sound of waves crashing can slow the pace and create a peaceful mood.
(iv) Importance of editing a text.
Ans: Editing is an essential part of the writing process, as it helps to improve the clarity, coherence, and overall quality of a text. Whether you’re writing a novel, a blog post, or a research paper, the importance of editing cannot be overstated.
One of the main benefits of editing is that it helps to improve the clarity of a text. By reviewing and revising the text, the editor can ensure that the writing is concise, straightforward, and easy to understand. They can also eliminate any ambiguity or confusion, ensuring that the reader knows exactly what the writer is trying to convey.
Another benefit of editing is that it helps to improve the coherence of a text. By rearranging sentences, removing unnecessary information, and adding transitional sentences, the editor can ensure that the text flows smoothly and logically from one idea to the next.
Editing also helps to improve the overall quality of a text by catching and correcting errors. This includes typos, grammatical errors, and inconsistencies in style and tone. An editor can also provide feedback on the writing, helping the writer to develop their skills and become a better writer over time.
Q. II Answer the following questions in about 350 words each:
1. What are some basic guidelines for a creative writer?
Ans: Creative writing can be a highly personal and individualized form of expression, but there are still some basic guidelines that can help writers to develop their skills and improve their writing. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned writer, these guidelines can provide a helpful framework for your writing.
- Read widely and regularly: Reading is an essential part of becoming a better writer. It exposes you to different styles and techniques, and helps you to develop your own writing voice. Read everything from classic literature to contemporary works, and take note of what you like and don’t like about each piece.
- Write regularly: Writing is a skill that can be improved through practice. Set aside time each day or each week to write, and stick to your schedule as much as possible. Even if you don’t have a specific project in mind, write something—anything. This will help you to develop your writing muscle and improve your skills.
- Experiment with different forms and styles: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different forms of writing, such as poetry, fiction, and non-fiction. Try writing in different styles, such as first person, third person, and omniscient. Experimenting will help you to find your voice and develop your writing skills.
- Study the elements of craft: The elements of craft include things like plot, character development, setting, dialogue, and point of view. Study these elements and learn how to use them effectively in your writing.
- Show, don’t tell: This is a basic principle of creative writing. Instead of telling the reader what’s happening, show them through the characters, actions, and dialogue. This makes for a more engaging and vivid reading experience.
- Revise and revise again: Writing is a process, and most writing benefits from multiple revisions. After you’ve written a draft, set it aside and come back to it later with fresh eyes. Revisions can help you to catch errors, tighten your writing, and make it more effective.
- Seek feedback: Seek feedback from others, such as friends, family, writing groups, or a writing coach. This can help you to see your writing from a different perspective and make improvements.
- Write for yourself: Finally, remember to write for yourself. Write about what you care about and what interests you. Writing should be a personal and creative outlet, and if you’re writing for anyone other than yourself, it may become a chore.
2. Discuss some ways in which you can make a short story interesting.
Ans: Making a short story interesting is not an easy task, but with a few key strategies, it can be done. A good short story should captivate the reader, leave them wanting more, and stay with them long after they’ve finished reading. Here are some ways in which you can make a short story interesting.
- Create an engaging plot: A well-crafted plot is key to making a short story interesting. The plot should be original, suspenseful, and keep the reader engaged from beginning to end. A good plot should have a clear beginning, middle, and end, and should be structured in a way that keeps the reader guessing.
- Develop compelling characters: Characters are the heart of any story, and creating interesting and compelling characters is crucial to making a short story interesting. The characters should be believable, relatable, and should evoke strong emotions in the reader.
- Use strong, descriptive language: Language is a powerful tool for creating mood and atmosphere in a short story. Use vivid, descriptive language to paint a picture of the setting and create a sense of place. Use figurative language, such as similes and metaphors, to add depth and meaning to your writing.
- Create tension and conflict: Tension and conflict are key elements of a good short story. Tension keeps the reader engaged, while conflict creates a sense of drama and keeps the reader invested in the story. Tension and conflict can come from internal or external sources, and can be between characters, within characters, or between characters and their environment.
- Experiment with different point of views: Using different point of views can add depth and interest to a short story. Experiment with first person, second person, and third person points of view, and choose the one that best serves your story.
- Use dialogue effectively: Dialogue can bring a short story to life, adding depth and authenticity to the characters. Good dialogue should be natural and believable, and should reveal character and advance the plot.
- End with a twist: A twist ending can make a short story truly memorable. The twist can be a surprise, a revelation, or a new twist on an old idea. The key is to create a twist that is surprising and satisfying, leaving the reader with a lasting impression.
- Keep it short and sweet: Finally, remember that a short story is short for a reason. Keep the story concise and focused, and avoid extraneous information that doesn’t serve the story.
3. What are some of the rules for scripting T.V. programmes for children?
Ans: Scripting television programs for children is a complex and important task. Children’s television programs should be educational, engaging, and entertaining, while also adhering to strict guidelines and standards. Here are some of the key rules for scripting TV programs for children:
- Age-appropriate content: The content of children’s television programs should be appropriate for the intended age group. For example, programs aimed at younger children should be light and educational, while programs aimed at older children should be more complex and thought-provoking.
- Educational value: Children’s television programs should have an educational value, teaching children important life skills, values, and knowledge. For example, a science-based show may teach children about the natural world and the scientific process, while a history-based show may teach children about historical events and figures.
- Positive role models: Children’s television programs should feature positive role models that children can look up to and emulate. Characters should be depicted as responsible, kind, and respectful, and should not engage in negative or harmful behaviors.
- Minimal violence: Children’s television programs should avoid excessive violence, as it can have a negative impact on children’s mental and emotional development. Any violence that is depicted should be mild and appropriate for the age group.
- Diversity and inclusion: Children’s television programs should reflect the diversity of the world, portraying people of different races, ethnicities, and abilities in positive and inclusive ways. Programs should also avoid stereotypes and reinforce positive values and attitudes.
- Healthy habits: Children’s television programs should encourage healthy habits, such as physical activity, healthy eating, and good sleep patterns. Programs should avoid promoting unhealthy habits, such as smoking or excessive consumption of junk food.
- Clear messaging: The message of children’s television programs should be clear and easy to understand, avoiding confusion and misinformation. Programs should also avoid messages that are political, controversial, or divisive.
- Technical standards: Children’s television programs should adhere to technical standards, such as audio and video quality, and be accessible to a wide range of viewers, including those with disabilities.
- Engaging format: Children’s television programs should be engaging and entertaining, using a variety of formats, such as animation, live-action, or a mix of both. Programs should also use music, sound effects, and humor to hold the audience’s attention.
4. Plagiarism has no place in creative writing-elucidate with examples.
Ans: Plagiarism is a serious issue in creative writing, as it involves taking someone else’s work and presenting it as your own. Plagiarism is not only unethical, but it can also lead to serious consequences, including loss of credibility, legal action, and damage to one’s reputation. For these reasons, plagiarism has no place in creative writing.
One example of plagiarism in creative writing is the use of someone else’s words or ideas without proper citation. For example, a writer might copy and paste passages from a book into their own writing, or present someone else’s idea as their own without proper attribution. In both cases, the writer is presenting someone else’s work as their own, which is plagiarism.
Another example of plagiarism in creative writing is the use of someone else’s work as inspiration for one’s own writing. While it is common to be inspired by other writers, it is important to give proper credit to the original source. For example, a writer might take a character or plot point from another story and use it as the basis for their own writing. In this case, the writer should clearly indicate that the character or plot point was inspired by another work, giving proper credit to the original source.
Plagiarism can be avoided by following some simple guidelines. First, always give proper credit to the original source of any words or ideas that are not your own. This can be done through the use of quotation marks or proper citation, depending on the type of writing. Second, use your own words to express someone else’s ideas, rather than copying and pasting passages from other works. Third, be mindful of the sources you are using, and avoid using works that are known to be plagiarized.
Q. III Attempt the following questions using your creative abilities:
5. Given below are the opening lines of a short story. Complete the story in 500 words, giving it a suitable title: “The day began like any other day and I did not know what it had in store for me……”
Ans: Title: “A Day to Remember”
The day began like any other day and I did not know what it had in store for me. I woke up, took a shower, and got dressed for work. As I walked out the door, I noticed that the sky was a deep shade of blue and there wasn’t a cloud in sight. I took this as a good sign and headed off to work with a spring in my step.
My day at work was uneventful, as usual. I sat at my desk, typing away at my computer, answering emails, and dealing with the daily tasks that I had to complete. It was all routine, just like any other day.
It wasn’t until lunchtime that things started to get interesting. I had stepped outside for a quick break, when I saw a young girl crying on the sidewalk. I approached her and asked if she was okay. She looked up at me with big, tear-filled eyes and told me that she had lost her dog. She was afraid that she would never see him again.
I could tell that she was genuinely upset and I didn’t want her to feel alone, so I offered to help her look for her pet. We spent the next hour searching for the dog, asking people if they had seen him, and checking every street and alley that we could find.
Finally, after what felt like an eternity, we found the little pup, curled up in a nearby park. The girl was overjoyed, and I could see the happiness in her eyes as she hugged her furry friend. She thanked me for my help and asked if there was anything she could do to repay me. I told her that just seeing her smile was enough.
As I walked back to work, I realized that this day was different from any other day. I had made a positive impact on someone’s life and that was a feeling that I would never forget.
The rest of the day went by quickly, and as I left work, I felt a sense of satisfaction that I had never felt before. I realized that sometimes it only takes a small act of kindness to make a big difference. And from that day on, I made a conscious effort to look for ways to help others and make a positive impact in the world.
As I lay in bed that night, I thought about the day that had just passed and how it had changed my perspective on life. I had gone from just living a routine, mundane life, to feeling like I was making a difference in the world. And it all started with just one simple act of kindness. The day began like any other day, but it ended up being a day to remember.
6. Write a feature in 500 words on “Indian women are still treated as second-class citizens”.
Title: “Indian Women: The Fight for Equality Continues”
Indian women have come a long way since the days of being treated as second-class citizens. However, despite the progress that has been made, the struggle for equality continues, with women in India still facing a range of challenges and inequalities in various aspects of their lives.
One of the key issues that Indian women face is the unequal distribution of power and influence. Women are underrepresented in political and economic decision-making positions, meaning that their voices and opinions are not heard and their interests are not represented. This is particularly evident in the workplace, where women are paid less than men for the same work and are less likely to hold senior positions.
Another issue is the pervasive culture of violence against women. India has a disturbingly high rate of gender-based violence, with cases of domestic violence, sexual assault, and harassment being reported on a daily basis. Women are also at risk of exploitation and trafficking, with many being sold into prostitution or forced into marriage.
The situation is further compounded by the prevalence of patriarchal attitudes and beliefs, which view women as being subservient to men and as being responsible for maintaining the reputation of their families. This often leads to women being treated as objects or commodities, with their worth being measured by their ability to marry well or to bear children.
Despite these challenges, women in India are fighting back and working to create change. They are using their voices to raise awareness of the issues they face and to demand equality and justice. There are also numerous organizations and initiatives working to empower women and to promote gender equality, providing support and resources to women in need.
However, much more needs to be done in order to achieve true equality for women in India. The government must take action to enforce laws and policies that protect women and to hold those who commit acts of violence against women accountable. It must also work to eliminate the patriarchal attitudes and beliefs that perpetuate the unequal treatment of women.
In addition, society must work to challenge the stereotypes and biases that prevent women from achieving their full potential. This includes challenging the notion that women are weak and vulnerable, and promoting the idea that women are strong, capable, and deserving of equal treatment and opportunities.
7. Write a nature poem of ten to fourteen lines.
Ans: In the forest deep and dense,
Nature’s symphony commences.
The rustle of leaves, the chirp of birds,
A melodious voice without any words.
The streams flow gently, clear and bright,
Reflecting the sky, a dazzling sight.
The sunbeams dance through the trees,
Nature’s beauty, for all to please.
The flowers bloom, a brilliant hue,
Nature’s art, for me and you.
A peaceful haven, free from strife,
Nature’s gift, a joy for life.
8. Structure a T.V. advertisement for a new model of mobile phone.
Ans: [Intro music starts playing, an upbeat tune that catches attention]
Announcer (Voiceover): “Introducing the latest innovation in mobile technology. Say hello to the [Brand X Phone Model]!”
[Visual of the phone being held up in front of a vibrant background, highlighting its sleek design and vibrant colors]
Announcer (Voiceover): “With its stunning [Size and Resolution] display, you’ll never miss a detail. Whether you’re watching a movie or playing your favorite game, the experience is breathtaking!”
[Visual of the phone’s camera being used to take pictures of beautiful landscapes and portraits, showing its high-quality photography capabilities]
Announcer (Voiceover): “Capture every moment with its [Number of MP] camera and [Special Camera Features]. From stunning landscapes to beautiful portraits, the [Brand X Phone Model] makes photography a breeze!”
[Visual of the phone’s battery life and fast charging capabilities being demonstrated, the phone being used to stream video and play games without any lag or interruption]
Announcer (Voiceover): “With its powerful [Battery Size] battery and [Special Battery Feature], you’ll never have to worry about running out of juice. And with [Fast Charging Technology], you can be back to using your phone in no time!”
[Outro music starts playing, a catchy tune that lingers in the background]
Announcer (Voiceover): “Get your hands on the [Brand X Phone Model], the ultimate phone for a smarter and more connected life. Available now!”
[Visual of the phone’s logo and tagline displayed on the screen, with a call-to-action message to visit a store or website to purchase]
9. Write a travel article about your home town in order to attract trourists to visit it. (500 words)
Ans: My hometown is a small, charming city nestled in the heart of [Region/State]. It is a place that is rich in history, culture, and natural beauty, and is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered by visitors from all over the world. Whether you are a history buff, a nature lover, or simply looking for a peaceful getaway, my hometown is the perfect destination for you.
One of the highlights of the city is its rich cultural heritage. The city is home to numerous historic landmarks, including [Name of famous landmarks or museums]. Visitors can take a stroll down the city’s charming cobblestone streets, and admire the beautiful architecture of its historic buildings, many of which date back to the [historical era]. In addition, the city is home to several museums and art galleries, which showcase the works of local artists, as well as the rich history of the region.
For those who love nature, my hometown is a true paradise. The city is surrounded by rolling hills and lush forests, and is the perfect destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Visitors can go hiking, fishing, or camping in the nearby [Name of National Park or Forest], or simply enjoy a leisurely stroll through the city’s many parks and gardens. The city is also home to several lakes and rivers, which offer a perfect setting for boating, swimming, and other water-based activities.
In addition to its natural beauty and rich cultural heritage, my hometown is also a great destination for foodies. The city is home to a wide variety of restaurants and cafes, offering everything from traditional local cuisine to international flavors. Visitors can indulge in delicious [Local cuisine or specialties], sample the local wines, and enjoy a night out at one of the city’s many bars and clubs.
For those who are looking for a more laid-back experience, my hometown offers plenty of opportunities to relax and unwind. Visitors can take a stroll through the city’s shopping district, where they will find a wide variety of local boutiques, art galleries, and specialty shops. The city also offers several spas and wellness centers, where visitors can enjoy a range of rejuvenating treatments, from massages to yoga classes.
Despite its many attractions, my hometown remains one of the most affordable destinations in the region. Visitors can enjoy all of the city’s highlights without breaking the bank, and the local people are always warm and welcoming to tourists. With its affordable prices, rich cultural heritage, and breathtaking natural beauty, my hometown is the perfect destination for anyone looking for a truly unique and memorable travel experience.
How to Download BEGG-174 Solved Assignment?
You can download it from the www.edukar.in, they have a big database for all the IGNOU solved assignments.
Is the BEGG-174 Solved Assignment Free?
Yes this is absolutely free to download the solved assignment from www.edukar.in
What is the last submission date for BEGG-174 Assignment?
For June Examination: 31st March, For December Examination: 30th September