The full form of GRE is a Graduate record examination. It is an international standardized test conducted by Educational Testing Services (ETS) for admissions into graduate schools in the United States of America and other countries across the world. It has gone through many changes since over the years, In its newest avatar, it is called as GRE revised General Test. In this article we’ve tried to cover everything related to GRE including GRE Full Form, Exam Details, Complete Syllabus, Exam Pattern, Form Fees & Preparation Ideas.
GRE aims to measure and assess a candidate’s verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, analytical writing, and critical thinking skills that have been acquired over a longer period of learning. The GRE scores are accepted by top-level graduate schools around the world for masters degree programs. The GRE scorecard is valid for up to 5 years.
GRE Test Key Highlights
check out details about UPSC
Check out details about GMAT
GRE Exam Eligibility
The GRE is one of the largest assessment programs for graduate courses across the globe. The only requirement for GRE is the valid passport to prove your identity. You’ll have to get original passports which clearly shows your full name, signature, and photograph. No other substitutes ID proof like driving license, birth certificate, etc, can be used as an alternate identity proof. They are very stringent about this.
Apart from GRE eligibility, ETS does not set prescribed age limit, qualifications, timing-related prerequisites for candidates to appear for graduate record examinations. Since the GRE is an assessment test for admission to the graduate program, candidates are expected to have successfully completed their UG course.
However, candidates should note that universities require candidates to have a GRE score for admission to graduate courses. There will be a precise range of eligibility criteria set by universities that accept GRE scores.
GRE Exam Pattern
The two types of GRE tests – GRE General Test and the GRE Subject Test. It is a concept test that isn’t related to any particular discipline or field.
What is the GRE General Test?
Students looking for admission in MS programs in the US and various other countries across the globe appear for Gre General Test. candidates skills assessed on his verbal reasoning skills, quantitative ability, and analytical writing skills.
GRE Computer-Delivered Test Pattern
[table id=10 /]
- The test is divided into 6 sections with a 10-minute break after the third section.
- The duration of the test is 3 Hours 45 Minutes
- Verbal Reasoning – Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and Vocabulary Usage.
- Quantitative Reasoning – High school level mathematical knowledge and reasoning skills.
- Analytical Writing – Two tasks of each essay writing.
Paper Delivered Test Pattern
[table id=11 /]
What is the GRE subject test?
This test assesses the candidates’ ability on a particular subject. The subject test is conducted for the following areas: Literature(English), Biology, Physics, and Psychology, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biochemistry. However, this test is required for getting admissions in specialized programs. Aside from this, this test is conducted thrice a year and is available only in paper-delivered format. The Duration of the paper is 2 Hours and 50 Minutes.
GRE Subject List:-
[table id=12 /]
Want to know about GMAT ?
How to register for GRE?
GRE registration can be done online or via means of phone. Candidates should follow the below instructions for registering in Gre 2019:
- Candidates need to create Educational Testing Services(ETS) account.
- Select the type of GRE Test you need to take: General or Subject test.
- Choose your preferred date when you want to give the exam and the nearest test center.
- Fill your personal and academic details.
- Proceed and Pay the registration fee of $205.
- You can call the Regional Registration Center(RRC) which is Prometric located in Haryana.
- Phone No: 91-124-4147700.
- The call must be made at least two business days before your test date.
- Confirmation numbers, registration time and test center addresses will be provided to you when you make a call for registration.
- Further, You can make payments online through Mastercard, American Express, Visa Credit or Debit Card.
Subscribe with us to receive preparation checklist pdf for Graduate Record Examination (GRE Full Form).