TOEFL stands for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL Full Form). It is a test used to measure the English language skills of a non-native speaker to get admission in the English speaking universities and colleges. Many top universities across the globe offer admissions on the basis of TOEFL.
TOEFL exam is mostly preferred by the universities and colleges in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada Germany and France. It is administered by the non-profit private organization called Educational Testing Service (ETS).
Components of TOEFL Exam
The reading section of TOEFL exam tests the reading skills and abilities of a candidate. It consists of 3-4 passages from academic texts for which candidates are given 60-80 minutes to answer 36-56 questions. Passages require a fundamental understanding of cause and effect relationship, compare, contrast and argumentation. All the questions are of multiple-choice questions.
The listening section consists of 6-9 passages, the passage includes a conversation between 2 or more people and you need to listen to the audio in order to answer the subsequent questions. You are allowed to listen to the conversation only once so you have to be very attentive and careful while listening to the audio because once you lost the track of the information it is very difficult to come back again.
The speaking section consists of 6 tasks and the time duration allotted is 20 minutes, in the first 2 tasks you are required to speak about a general topic which is familiar to you and in the next 4 tasks you are supposed to answer the questions that are based on passages and conversation for which you are given a short span of time to think
before answering. Candidates are judged on the basis of how neatly and effortlessly they are able to convey the idea and inference of the passage and conversation they read or listen.
In the writing section, a candidate is given two tasks in which they need to write essays that are based on reading and listening tasks, they are required to put their own opinions and judgments while writing an essay 50 minutes are allotted to write 2 essays.
TOEFL Eligibility Criteria
There are no stringent eligibility criteria when it comes to TOEFL exams as anyone with 10+2 certificate are eligible to appear for TOEFL exams.
TOEFL Registration Process
- Firstly you need to create a TOEFL profile on the official website in order to book your seat for the exam and to view your results and status.
- You don’t have to enter too many details while registering, you just need to enter your name, date of birth, phone number etc. make sure that you enter the correct date of birth because the DOB should be same as stated in your ID proof because you have to carry that ID proof in the exam hall.
- After creating your TOEFL account you can now login in your account using your credentials after that click on the “Register for a test” and you need to select TOEFL.
- Then click on “I agree”
- Choose a date for the exam and fill in the required fields, after that click on the “complete registration” when the chosen date and centre appears.
- You may select four universities of your choice where the TOEFL scores will be sent.
- You can also select additional university but for that, you have to pay 20$ for each university.
- Make sure to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox for registration, however, if you are using Mac then do install chrome because you won’t be able to register on Safari.
Valid Identification documents for TOEFL
- The identification document should be issued by the Government of India and should be valid in India.
- Xerox copies or electronic identification are not pemissible.
- The expiry of the document should be less than 6 months.
- Your photograph should be clearly visible.
- Your signature should match on both id proof and the registration form.
- A passport is considered as the valid identification proof in India.
TOEFL Score Card
Printed scorecards are sent to the recipients approximately 13 days after the test date. The scorecard is valid for 2 years and you can send them to other universities during that span 2 years.
Hope You’ve found each and every detail related to TOEFL Full Form, its components and TOEFL Registration Process.